KIND OF WORK:
Professional accounting work involving preparation, maintenance, analysis and auditing of financial records and reports in accordance with Goodwill’s policies, State statutes and Federal regulations.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK:
The Accountant is also responsible for performing accounting work in the maintenance of moderately complex financial records involving preparation, maintenance, analysis and auditing of financial records. Depending on the particular assignment, the incumbent’s duties include analyzing and monitoring financial and budgetary systems, executing complex accounting functions, and recommending improved procedures and methods. The work is performed in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The Accountant will work under the general supervision of the Financial Manager.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
(*) indicates tasks which have been designated as essential job functions.
- Performs general ledger accounting functions, journal vouchers, financial statements, trial balances, reconciliations, verifications and account adjustments as required.
- Obtains, prepares and audits data used in reports and statements for external agencies and internal units; prescribes accounting procedures and methods as needed.
- Recommends procedures and methods, including participating in the development and modification of various computer applications and programs.
- Prepares and maintains a system of fixed-asset accounting for the recording of buildings, land and other capital assets owned by the Agency.
- Identifies, measures, analyzes, compares, summarizes and communicates financial information to permit informed judgements and decisions by working closely with the Financial Manager.
- Prints General Ledger journals, verifies, posts and files printouts. Prepares monthly general journal adjusting entries; enters into accounting system; prepares trial balance.
- Reviews receivables on an ongoing basis to insure timely payments. Assists Accounting Technician as needed in effective collection of past due receivables. Reviews NSF check activity and initiates appropriate action.
- Prepares tax reports (941, state withholding and sales tax).
- Verifies accuracy of debit/credit card statement. Prepares cash proofs on Duluth store, payroll and general fund accounts.
- Oversees paperwork required for the transfer of donated vehicles from the donor through to the buyer; calculates, collects and remits all transfer fees. Maintains dealer license.
- Maintains general office systems and practices as necessary to support the Agency.
- Demonstrates punctual and reliable attendance in accordance with designated work schedule.
- Complies with applicable safety rules, laws and practices; uses property safety equipment and procedures in all operations.
- Performs related duties as required.
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
- Working knowledge of GAAP theories, principles and practices of not-for-profit accounting and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of the uses and applications of financial software applications, databases and spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of accepted office procedures, practices and uses of standard office equipment.
- Knowledge of cost analysis methods and auditing procedures.
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, rules, statutes and guidelines regarding not-for-profit accounting practices.
- Skill in performing mathematical calculations rapidly and accurately.
- Skill in analyzing work-flow issues and designing efficient procedures.
- Skill in performing and verifying detailed work and data efficiently and accurately.
- Skill in interpreting statistical data, financial statements, spreadsheets and computer reports.
- Skill in using accounting data to solve problems, make decisions and formulate projections.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR WORK:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, OR graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in finance and two years of full time paid verifiable, accounting related experience.
These work environment factors are general in nature: CONSTANT: Sit and near vision. _FREQUENT:_ Bend neck; talk/speak; sit and visual accommodation. _OCCASIONAL:_ Lift and carry up to 10 pounds; rotate neck, static neck position; walk; hear within 5 feet and midrange vision.